Updated on: Feb. 26th, 2021
The original list of “halal” restaurants for Saigon was over 50 in 2010. After more thorough reviews the list got below 20 by 2014. We are now down to 9 halal restaurants in the city but we will review about 5 more in March, 2021, that claim to be halal. Be aware, many restaurants in Saigon will place the halal symbol on theirs signs even if they are not halal. Others will put a copy of their halal meat suppliers’ certifications on the wall. This is something to take note. Be assured, you will be safe with the list below.
This is just a short list of restaurants based on the directory provided by SaigonNezumi.com for Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). I will update the list with photos and maps after speaking with my Muslim friends in March, 2021. We will also add the main mosques for each city (possibly on a different page).
Halal Restaurants in Saigon (HCMC), Vietnam
No restaurants that serve alcohol or non-halal meat will be added to this list. Be aware, some of these restaurants are temporarily closed due to covid-19.
- Al Sham Restaurant – 314 Vo Van Kiet Street, Co Quang Ward, District 1 – Telephone: +84.98.459.71.60 – Middle Eastern restaurant that serves both halal and vegan cuisines.
- Basiron – District 1 (near Ben Thanh Market on Nguyen An Ninh street) – Offers great halal pho. Their restaurant has become more and more popular with Malaysian tourists. TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
- [email protected] – 31 Dong Du, District 1 – *well-known halal restaurant wholly-owned and run by Muslims. A great restaurant to visit for travelers and locals alike. Ask the managers for their recommendations if you are new to [email protected] If you are looking for budget prices, give them a call or email before visiting Vietnam
- Pho Muslim – District 1 (Behind the Nancy Mosque) – Another favorite for local and visiting Muslims a like. In the mornings you can have halal pho, in the evenings halal bun bo hue. The small restaurant is in an alleyway in the Muslim part of District 1. Prices are very affordable for budget travelers.
- Salima – 22 Nguyen An Nninh, (1st floor inside An Tam Hotel) , District 1 – Family run business aiming to provide the halal restaurant experience in Saigon. TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
- The Daun – 48 Le Lai, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1 – Great halal restaurant managed by a Singaporean Muslim. One of the most reliable halal restaurants in Saigon. TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
- Quan An 64 – 641 Nguyen Trai, District 5 (At the Cholon Mosque) – another halal favorite offering Vietnamese and Malaysian food. I love the curry rice dishes there.
Phu Nhuan District
- Kedai Makan Melayu Champa – 111/33 Huynh Van Banh, Phu Nhuan District (after bridge, turn right at market and look for alleyway on left) – A great halal restaurant that serves halal Vietnamese and Malaysian cuisines. A little hard to find but worth it. The Muslim chef caters for many hotels in the city. You will meet many local Cham Muslims in this area.
- Sara Halal Food – 67 Dang Van Ngu, Phu Nhuan District – Serves halal Cham cuisine. I used to frequent this restaurant 3-4 times per week when I lived nearby. Come after 5 pm. The owner and cook are Muslims. The chicken fried rice dishes are my favorite dishes there. Very affordable for budget travelers.