Halal Restaurants Directory
The list of halal restaurants in Saigon are double checked by the Muslim community. The restaurants listed will meet halal standards dictated by the Hanafi Madhab.
Updated on: June 21, 2021.
The original list of “halal” restaurants for Saigon was over 50 in 2010. After a more thorough reviews the list got below 20 by 2014. We are now down to 9 halal restaurants in the city but we will review about 5 more in May, 2021, that claim to be halal.
Please note: Some restaurants in Saigon will place the halal symbol on theirs signs even if they are not halal. Others will put a copy of their halal meat suppliers’ certifications on the wall. This is something to take note. Be assured, you will be safe with the list below.
Halal Restaurants in Saigon (HCMC)
The majority of halal restaurants in District 1 will be located either near the Saigon Central Mosque on Dong Du Street, the Nancy Mosque on Tran Hung Dao street, or by the Ben Thanh Market on An Ninh Street, aka Malaysian Street. Be cautious of An Ninh Street, back in 2011, there were street sellers whose names suspiciously changed from Vietnamese to Muslim overnight.
- Al Sham Restaurant – 314 Vo Van Kiet Street, Co Quang Ward, District 1 – Telephone: +84.98.459.71.60 – Middle Eastern restaurant that serves both halal and vegan cuisines. The owners butcher their halal meat in Vung Tau.
- Basiron – District 1 (near Ben Thanh Market on Nguyen An Ninh street) – Offers great halal pho. Their restaurant has become more and more popular with Malaysian tourists. Temporarily closed but should reopen when Vietnam opens up again.
- Halal@Saigon – 31 Dong Du, District 1 – *well-known halal restaurant wholly-owned and run by Muslims. A great restaurant to visit for travelers and locals alike. Ask the managers for their recommendations if you are new to Halal@Saigon. If you are looking for budget prices, give them a call or email before visiting Vietnam
- Pho Muslim – District 1 (Behind the Nancy Mosque) – Another favorite for local and visiting Muslims a like. In the mornings you can have halal pho, in the evenings halal bun bo hue. The small restaurant is in an alleyway in the Muslim part of District 1. Prices are very affordable for budget travelers.
- Salima – 22 Nguyen An Nninh, (1st floor inside An Tam Hotel) , District 1 – Family run business aiming to provide the halal restaurant experience in Saigon. Temporarily closed but should reopen when Vietnam opens up again
- The Daun – 48 Le Lai, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1 – Great halal restaurant managed by a Singaporean Muslim. One of the most reliable halal restaurants in Saigon. Temporarily closed but should reopen when Vietnam opens up again
The Cholon Mosque has a very popular halal restaurant across from the entrance of the masjid.
- Quan An 64 – 641 Nguyen Trai, District 5 (At the Cholon Mosque) – another halal favorite offering Vietnamese and Malaysian food. I love the curry rice dishes there.
Phu Nhuan District
There is a Cham community in Muslim "alley" in the Phu Nhuan District. You will find some small halal restaurans in that area. Many cater to tourists though so they will probably be closed.
- Kedai Makan Melayu Champa – 111/33 Huynh Van Banh, Phu Nhuan District (after bridge, turn right at market and look for alleyway on left) – A great halal restaurant that serves halal Vietnamese and Malaysian cuisines. A little hard to find but worth it. The Muslim chef caters for many hotels in the city. You will meet many local Cham Muslims in this area.
- Sara Halal Food – 67 Dang Van Ngu, Phu Nhuan District – Serves halal Cham cuisine. I used to frequent this restaurant 3-4 times per week when I lived nearby. Come after 5 pm. The owner and cook are Muslims. The chicken fried rice dishes are my favorite dishes there. Very affordable for budget travelers.
New Halal Restaurants in Saigon
If you know of any new halal restaurants in Saigon please contact me. I will have the local Muslim community confirm it for this directory.